Massage Therapy is a hands-on manipulation of the soft tissue of the body including muscles, connective tissue, tendons, ligaments, and joints. Massage therapy provides an alternative health option to help alleviate the soft tissue discomfort associated with everyday and occupational stresses, muscular overuse and many chronic pain syndromes. It can also greatly reduce the development of painful muscular patterning, if employed early enough after accidents involving trauma and injury.Massage therapy can be beneficial to people of all ages and conditions and is widely used to help obtain relief from many problems.
There are certain conditions for which massage therapy is not appropriate and a qualified massage therapist is trained to recognize these cases. Many Massage Therapists treat a variety of diseases and disorders while other Massage Therapist concentrate on certain conditions
(fibromyalgia) or groups of people such as athletes, performers, women during pregnancy, infants and children.
Who Pays for Massage Therapy
Although not publicly funded by the government in Ontario, individual clients of massage therapists may be reimbursed for the cost of massage therapy visits from a variety of sources. Some plans may require a physician's referral prior to the start of treatment. Other reimbursement options may be available, depending on circumstances such as:
- Employer Sponsored Extended Health Insurance Plans,which may be administered by private companies.
- Consumer purchased Extended Health Insurance Plans.
- Private Automobile Insurance Companies, in the case of clients who are victims of motor vehicle accidents (under authority of the Auto Insurance Rate Stability Act, 1996)
- The Work Place Safety and Insurance Board, in the case workers injured on a work site (under the authority of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997)
- The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (for members of the RCMP)
You may wish to consult with Revenue Canada to determine if for massage therapy under "medical expenses" on your income tax return will be permitted.